What is a Chromebook Kit?
A Chromebook Kit consists of 1 Chromebook laptop, 1 hot spot, and 1 computer mouse to provide you with Wi-Fi and computer access from home.
How to Use a Chromebook?
To use a Chromebook:
- Power on the Chromebook by clicking the power button on the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard
- Log-in by clicking the arrow under the username “Public Chromebook”
- Move through the next screen by clicking the blue arrow
- Click “Accept and Continue” after reading through the noblenet.org Terms of Service
- Google Chrome will automatically launch and is ready to use
How to Use a Hot Spot
- Turn on the Library Hot spot and Chromebook.
- Go into the network setting/WiFi setup area in the right-hand corner of the Chromebook menu.
- Find the name of the Hot spot you are trying to connect to. The name of the hot spot is located within a Kit’s enclosed instructions.
- Enter the hot spot password to connect. The password is listed within the Kit’s instructions.
- Begin using your Chrombook!
Hot spots are portable once the battery is charged and only require recharging every few hours (duration of battery life varies depending on service signal strength, number of devices connected, etc.). Hot spots can be used in your home, in a car, or anywhere service is available.
Our Hot spots are from Mobile Beacon. Mobile Beacon’s internet service is provided on Sprint’s 4G LTE network. Check Sprint’s 4G LTE coverage.
How can I borrow one?
Patrons may place a Chromebook Kit on hold for pickup at Lynnfield Library only. Chromebook Kits must be picked up and returned to the Lynnfield Public Library. One Chromebook Kit may be borrowed per library card.
Chromebook Kits can be checked out for two weeks with no renewals.
All parts of the Chromebook Kit must be returned in the case; the Kit will remain checked out to the patron and fines will accrue until all parts are returned. Replacement Chromebooks, or replacements of the accompanying parts of the Kit, will not be accepted. Patrons are responsible for damage to or loss of Chromebooks and accessories as a result of accident, theft, misuse or neglect; the approximate replacement cost of a Kit is $400.00. Additionally, patrons are expected to report loss or damage to the Chromebook or accessories to Circulation Desk staff.
Overdue Chromebook Kits will accrue fines at $5 per day until returned, or the maximum fines of $25 are reached, and will be deactivated within 48 hours after the due date.
By using the Chromebook Kit the patron acknowledges that they are subject to and agrees to abide by the Library’s Internet Access Policy (available online and upon request) and the following conditions:
- Patrons may not alter or delete any settings or configurations.
- Patrons are responsible for any violation of the Internet Access Policy and all other applicable library policies.
- Library Staff is not permitted to configure patrons’ equipment or provide technical assistance with connecting to the wireless network.
- Patrons use this service at their own risk. As with most public wireless networks, any information being sent or received over the wireless network could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user.
- The Library is not responsible for any personal information that is compromised, or for any damages, alterations, or interferences with a patron’s device or data files resulting from use of the wireless network.
- The Library is not liable for any consequences of wireless network access including loss of date.
- The Library does not guarantee that the wireless network will be available and the Library is not responsible for outages and/or connectivity issues.
Updated: January 2021
Have more questions? Contact the Library: